Besides curries and quick stir fries, I don’t venture out into Asian cooking much. I’m not sure why. It intimidates me a little as many recipes have quite a few ingredients and it’s reasonably foreign to me. But this vegan vietnamese salad was the wonderful creation of my sister. The sister that did all the amazing catering for our wedding. Yes she is an awesome cook and yes I will be using her to make some recipes for us all that are meals she whips up on a regular basis. Everything is super easy to her. She’s very talented and I wanted to share that with you!
I’ve had this salad a few times when she’s made it and asked her is she’d be happy to help me measure it out and create it for TMV. She was more than happy to 🙂 Now that she lives closer, we’ll be collaborating more in the kitchen I hope!
So quick and easy, you’ll be adding this to your meal rotation in no time. I hope you guys enjoy this one and trust me, it’s pretty delicious.
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- Large handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Large handful of sprouts, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 medium-large brown mushrooms, diced
- Around 100gr pearl oyster mushrooms or any other mushroom like enoki or king trumpet
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- 100gr vermicelli or glass rice noodles
- Fried onions for garnish
- 2.5 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar (any Asian style vinegar will do, e.g. plum or sushi vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 finely sliced chillies or use to taste
- 1 cm ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, add the chopped shallots, carrots, coriander and sprouts.
- In a frying pan or saucepan, heat the coconut and sesame oil on high heat and add the mushrooms cooking for a few minutes until soft but not soggy. You don't want the mushrooms to go too limp so keep on high heat. Add the tamari and the end to caramelise a little and take off heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to the boil and cook the noodles as per packet instructions. It's normally no more than 5-7 minutes. Once cooked, drain and wash under cold water. Make sure that all the excess water has drained before adding it to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Make the dressing in a little bowl and pour over the salad.
- Mix well and serve with fried onions as a garnish over the top for a crispy texture.