This super easy, fluffy and chocolatey vegan mousse will hit the spot. Silky smooth, rich and full of body, this makes the perfect after dinner dessert.
- 120g / 4.23 ounces vegan dark chocolate (I used 70% dark)
- ¼ cup / 80ml maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup / 60ml plant milk (I used organic soy milk)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup / 125ml aquafaba (chickpea water)
- Whipped coconut cream (or another plant-based cream)
- Extra vegan dark chocolate, shaved or grated
- Crushed salted peanuts
- In a bowl over a double boiler, melt and combine the chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla extract, milk and salt. Stir until the chocolate has fully melted and all the ingredients are well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl*, using an electric whisk, whisk the aquafaba for around 10 minutes. Start on low and work your way up to high as it begins to stiffen. The aquafaba is done when you can tip the bowl upside down, and it doesn’t move. (See image above)
- Gently and slowly fold in the chocolate mix**, making sure not to over-stir. Once the mix is well combined, spoon into individual portions and place in the fridge to set for at least an hour before serving.
- Once you’re ready to serve, add desired toppings.
* Make sure that everything you use when whisking the aquafaba is soap and oil-free; otherwise, it will not start to fluff and stiffen.
** This will work well if the aquafaba and chocolate mix are room temperature to a slightly warm temperature. This is why I always melt the chocolate with the other ingredients first. If you have whisked a chilled aquafaba, try and leave it to get to room temperature before combining the two together.
- Diet: Vegan