I’ve been making this delicious crispy vegan French toast for breakfast for about four years now on our slow mornings and am feeling like it’s time to share it with you all.This recipe was in the free One Week of Meals Cookbook that we had as a download (which is no longer available), and we got lots of great feedback on it. I wanted to give it a bit of an upgrade, so here it is—in all, it’s simple, yet delicious crispy glory.
French toast is something that I grew up eating. Do you have stale bread? No problem, French toast coming right up! It’s such a classic dish and so many people love it for its simplicity and the fact that you can save some food is an awesome bonus. That’s a win, win situation.
When I was younger, it was made with eggs, milk and butter. And when I have a childhood dish that I crave or wish to veganise, I want it to be just as good as it was, or even better.
This one is soft and fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside (helps if you use vegan butter) and it’s such a nice way to start the day! With a cup of tea or coffee, it’s morning perfection.
What’s the best bread for vegan French toast?
Make sure you don’t use just any bread. The real deal is when you use bread that was purchased (and baked) freshly – not the stuff you find on the supermarket shelves pre-sliced and wrapped in plastic. Real bread from a bakery that you can slice yourself at home, and often 2-3 days after bake date. When you can’t really use it for anything other than the compost, bread crumbs or feeding it to birds, this is the stuff you want for French toast.
A list of potential toppings for this vegan french toast
Here are some great topping ideas if you want some inspiration:
- Chocolate sauce from this recipe
- Any jam – my favourites are strawberry, raspberry, apricot, rosehip and plum
- Any berries – like blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- Chopped walnuts, banana and maple syrup
- Coconut whipped cream
- Cinnamon, maple coconut whipped cream
- Nut butter
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Caramelized banana, with pecans and maple syrup
- Poached pears, with coconut nectar and macadamias
Oh, the list could go on and on! What’s your favourite topping?
Other vegan breakfast recipes you’ll love:
- Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Toast with Asparagus
- Easy Fluffy Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Apple, Blueberry and Vanilla Oat Bran Porridge
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding With Cashew Cream
- Rose and Pistachio Rice Pudding