Enjoy this super simple refined sugar-free vegan vanilla cake recipe. With a vanilla sponge and a simple coconut cream, you can easily dress this cake up for birthdays and other occasions or pair it down to eat any day of the week!
- 270g unbleached plain flour
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder (14g)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda (3g)
- 160g coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml plant-based milk (I used organic soy)
- 105ml neutral oil (I used rice bran oil)
- 80ml good-quality maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (3ml)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract (3ml)
- 1 flax egg
- Whipped coconut cream
- Your choice of berries (I used half a punnet each of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries and please use organic where possible)
- Edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 180C (355F) and place the oven rack in the middle. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides for easy removal from the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients and whisk together to combine well and to remove any clumps.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk them until they are also well combined and slightly frothy.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix using the whisk until there are no lumps. Please don’t over mix!
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and tap on the benchtop a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place on the middle rack in the oven baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake until the skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Please don’t be tempted to open the oven any sooner as this will make the cake collapse in the middle as it cools. You will see that the cake is starting to separate from the sides of the pan, this is when you can test to see if it’s finished. You want the cake to spring back if you touch the top.
- While the cake bakes, you can prepare your whipped coconut cream.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes before carefully removing it and letting it completely cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, refrigerate.
- When you’re ready to add toppings, remove the cake from the fridge and smooth the whipped coconut cream over the cake and decorate it with berries and edible flowers.
- If you’re making the two-tier cake, spread coconut cream in the middle and add a layer of cut strawberries, then gently press down the second cake on top. Finish off with more whipped cream and decorations as desired.
- The sponge will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days undecorated or in the fridge for 3 days with the coconut whipped cream. We recommend if decorating with berries and edible flowers that the cake will look its best when done on the same day.
* Please take note that this recipe is only for one vanilla cake in this two-tiered cake. Double the recipe to get the same look as pictured. Make sure to also double the whipped coconut cream recipe.
- Category: Sweets
- Cuisine: Vegan