This apple, blueberry and vanilla vegan oat bran porridge has been my go-to breakfast for a couple of months now. I love it! So easy to make and some of it can be prepped the night before if you’re short on time in the mornings.
You can even batch stew the apples and have them ready in a jar in the fridge. I love to also mix it up or have a quick version of this if I’m in a hurry.
These gorgeous apples were picked by my mum and her best friend in the wild yesterday. The most delicious, blemish, bug and chemical free apples I’ve ever seen! What an incredible find. I was lucky that she brought some apples back with the leaves still intact. The photos turned out much nicer that way.
This is something I want to get into more. Growing and harvesting as much produce myself. Even if I don’t grow it, picking it in the wild would be so satisfying. I’ve always loved doing that.
Something I am really looking forward to when I move back to Slovenia is foraging mushroom with locals and picking chestnuts as I have in the past with my auntie in Croatia.
All the different ways to make this oat bran porridge
This recipe can be altered in many different ways. When I was doing the candida diet, I would make it with oat bran, xylitol, coconut milk powder, water and almond butter. That’s it. You can give that a go if you’re doing a fructose-free diet yourself.
If you are introducing more foods, you can have a Granny Smith apple and the blueberries as well as the cinnamon.
Not on the candida diet? Add the maple syrup or any natural sweetener of choice.
I’m also simply amazed at the variety of apples we can get. With each variety having its own flavour profile as well as texture and individual uses for them. The apple that I used here (I’m not sure of the name as they were picked from unknown trees) was a little tart but still sweet. It almost gave the porridge a bit of a citrus undertone.
If you have a sweet variety of apple, you can add some lemon zest as well. It pairs with the rest of the ingredients beautifully.
What is the difference between oat bran and rolled oats?
Both rolled oats and oat bran come from the same plant, but the main difference is that oat bran is the outer part of the oat groat, whereas rolled oats are the inner part.
Oat bran also has naturally more fibre than rolled oats. They also cook quicker and are creamier in texture then their inner oat groat counterpart oatmeal that is chewier in texture.
I personally find that oat bran digests easier for me. I have issues with digestion and oat bran is much more gentle on my digestive system, especially first thing in the morning!
You’ll be happy to know that oat bran is also typically a little cheaper than rolled oats.
Now onto the recipe! I hope you enjoy this sweet, healthy and creamy vegan oat bran porridge for breakfast sometime.
This smooth and creamy vegan oat bran porridge is packed with great ingredients to get your day started right.
- 1 small apple, sliced into thin slices (I cut it into wedges, deseed and sliced)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup - 100% pure Canadian + more for drizzle
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 vanilla pod
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1.5 cups coconut milk (from tetra pak not can)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Handful of organic blueberries
- In a pot on medium heat, add the apples and maple syrup and bring to a boil.
- Put the lid on with the vent part open and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. This will also trap the water in the pot to help soften the apples.
- Once the apples have softened, add in the cinnamon, vanilla pod (which has had the seeds scraped out), oat bran, coconut milk and almond butter.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes and make sure to stir everything in well. It will be ready when it becomes this rich, creamy and smooth consistency.
- If the coconut milk is absorbed quickly, you can add another 1/2 cup of milk.
- Remove the vanilla pod and serve straight away with a drizzle of maple syrup and some blueberries.
Recipes you’ll also love:
- Crispy Vegan French Toast
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding with Cashew Cream
- Rose and Pistachio Vegan Rice Pudding
- Vegan Apple Crumble (Gluten-Free)
- Super Simple Vegan Peach, Macadamia and Coconut Crumble
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!