I don’t know if it’s just my ignorance here in Australia, but I hadn’t heard of a Reuben sandwich until we did some travel through the US. And it wasn’t that we even came across the traditional one with the corned beef, Swiss cheese, and the lot. It was the vegan version in pretty much every cafe we sat down in. I had it in a couple of different places and loved the combination of the tempeh with the sauerkraut and the sauce. Just the crunch of the bread with the flavours on the inside, quickly made me want it again when we came back home. I love those flavour combinations, and after studying other recipes, what I had tasted during my travels, and what I generally like, I’ve created a vegan tempeh Reuben sandwich that I’m sure others will also love!
As well as the Juicy Tofu Sandwich with Smoked Mayo, this has quickly become a favourite in our house. They are similar in some ways, but the end result of the flavours is completely different!
The tempeh that you use for this recipe should ideally already be marinated. If it’s not, there are plenty of marinating recipes you can find online. I only ever buy it marinated, so I’ve never done it before! I would personally use some garlic powder, onion powder, tamari and any other spices I feel would compliment the rest of the dish. But generally speaking, that’s what I’d start with.
So, here it is. The vegan tempeh Reuben sandwich recipe for you to try out at home. Would love to hear what you think! It’s such a simple recipe to make, and I have deliberately adjusted the recipe using ingredients that you’re more likely to have in your kitchen as a vegan than others that I saw with specialty ingredients. If you don’t have some of these, they would be fairly accessible at your local supermarket.
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 gherkin, finely chopped
- Vegan butter
- 4 slices of rye bread - I used light rye
- Oil for shallow frying
- 150gr marinated tempeh, sliced
- 2 slices vegan cheese - preferably Swiss but any will do
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- Combine all dressing ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Fry the tempeh on both sides until golden brown.
- Butter one side of all four slices of bread. Place two pieces butter side down on the fry pan, then spread over the dressing, followed by the cheese, tempeh, sauerkraut and then pieces of bread with the butter facing up. If using a sandwich press, compile it the same way.
- Toast for a couple of minutes until golden brown and then flip. If using sandwich press, just press down and it will toast both sides at the same time.
- Take off heat and cut in half.