Apple crumble is one of those classic dessert dishes that most people love. There are so many variations of it out there. I wanted to keep it super simple, tasty and healthy (and of course vegan and gluten free)!
You can jazz it up with some nuts, raisins or other fruits in the filling but I love to sometimes keep it simple and super delicious.
I have been going crazy in the kitchen baking as I haven’t had an over for over 6 months and oh how I have missed it! You may have noticed that some of my recent recipes have been bakes of some sort 🙂
The base of this crumble is really basic and you are likely to have the ingredients in your house already if you have a vegan and healthy lifestyle. I normally don’t eat granny smith apples on their own but they are perfect for a recipe like this!
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 10 drops of concentrated vanilla extract or ¼ tsp normal vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the apples, water and half of the coconut sugar, cinnamon & the vanilla extract. Cook the apple mixture for 10-15 minutes half covered and stirring occasionally.
- While the apples are stewing, combine the oats, almonds, coconut oil, and the rest of the coconut sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a food processor. Blend using the S blade for around 30 seconds to a minute until the desired texture is reached. I like to keep some chunky bits in there to get the crunch of the almonds.
- Place the stewed apples in a baking dish around 20-25 cm wide and top with the oat and almond mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the crumble starts browning.
- Serve warm with some coconut or hazelnut vegan ice cream. (Optional)