When you meet someone for the first time, consciously and unconsciously, you’re assessing their status based on their job, education, where they live, the clothes they wear, the car they drive, and their cultural background.
And you know what?
They’re doing the exact same thing to you.
But how healthy is status classification? Why does it matter so much to us?
Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a deep desire to prove ourselves and feel important. And what’s scary is that we place much of our self-worth on these status signals.
In this conversation, we explore the challenges with wrapping status into our identities, and how minimalism can play a role in shifting the perspective of identity and value.
This episode is brought to you by Bhumi. Bhumi is a bedding, bath, and apparel brand that uses organic cotton and fair trade practices. Browse their full range at www.bhumi.com.au. Use discount code MINIMALISTVEGAN at checkout to get 25% off storewide. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
Listen to the episode
Subscribe to The Minimalist Vegan Podcast on:
Things mentioned in this episode
- Owning Your Identity – Episode 031
- 27 Questions to Ask Instead of “What Do You Do?”
- 10 Alternatives to “What Do You Do For Work?” — Awkward Silence
- You NEED to Realize Your Identity & Purpose Are NOT Your Job
- You are not your job | Helen Qin | TEDxClevelandStateUniversity
- Identity Shift – Be Who You Are, Not What You Do. | Eric James | TEDxMSUDenver
- Why Finland And Denmark Are Happier Than The U.S.
- Why Denmark is the Happiest Country
Join the MV community
You’ll get a neat summary of our content each week, as well as some behind the scenes of what’s happening! See you on the inside 😉