Apple crumble—one of those classic dessert dishes that most people love. With so many variations of it out there, I wanted to keep it super simple, tasty and healthy (and of course vegan and gluten-free)!
You can jazz it up with some nuts, raisins or other fruits in the filling but I sometimes love to keep it simple and super delicious.
I’ve been going crazy in the kitchen baking as I haven’t had an oven for over six months and oh how I’ve missed it! You may have noticed that some of my recent recipes have been bakes of some sort 🙂
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 10 drops of concentrated vanilla extract or ¼ tsp normal vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the apples, water and half of the coconut sugar, cinnamon & the vanilla extract. Cook the apple mixture for 10-15 minutes half covered and stirring occasionally.
- While the apples are stewing, combine the oats, almonds, coconut oil, and the rest of the coconut sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a food processor. Blend using the S blade for around 30 seconds to a minute until the desired texture is reached. I like to keep some chunky bits in there to get the crunch of the almonds.
- Place the stewed apples in a baking dish around 20-25 cm wide and top with the oat and almond mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the crumble starts browning.
- Serve warm with some coconut or hazelnut vegan ice cream. (Optional)
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!