If you’ve been missing ice cream since you have switched over to a vegan lifestyle, this is the perfect way to create something that is reasonably quick, easy and super delicious! It also doesn’t have additives, flavourings or other nasties.
I’ve created quite a few flavours in the past, and the quickest way to make vegan ice cream is to use frozen bananas. I’ve done this so many times in the past, but the banana flavour sometimes isn’t what you want on your palette to be competing with the flavours like other fruit or nuts. I like using the coconut milk because when frozen and you add different flavours to it, it adapts quite well.
If you did want to make super quick and easy ice cream, throw some chopped up banana (chop up the banana before freezing as otherwise, it will be almost impossible!) in a blender or good food processor and blend with whatever flavour you like.
You may need a bit of nut milk to help blend it well, but otherwise, that’s it! You’ll get a creamy texture, and it will be ready to eat straight away. If the ice cream has melted a little too much, pop in the freezer for another 20-30 minutes.
I’ve always loved mixing either fruit with nuts or chocolate with nuts. Hazelnuts and chocolate go well together and also give you that Nutella flavour that so many people love! This combination is much creamier and not as sweet, naturally.
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts (plus more for topping, optional)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1.5 tbs cacao or more if you want it richer
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Blend all ingredients in a blender and transfer to a baking dish - preferably lined as it is sometimes hard to get it back out again.
- Place it in the freezer for 3 hours or until it has gone hard.
- Snap the frozen mixture into chunks and place back in the blender. Make sure that you break them into smaller pieces so that its easier for your blender to catch onto them.
- Blend until a creamy consistency is reached. Make a few stop starts to push the ingredients around.
- Place back in a container and into the freezer to firm up for about 30 minutes. Top with more hazelnuts if you like the crunch.
- If you leave it in for longer, it will firm up more so it may be a little bit harder to scoop out.
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!