I’ll take you through this delicious corn fritters recipe, but first!
There are so many exciting things that have been happening here at TMV over the last few months. First, we shared with you that we’re moving to Europe, then that we are going full-time with TMV. But that’s not all, we’re also launching a podcast, and starting a YouTube channel at some point as well. Now, that’s a lot to take in!
To add to that, we have also decided to increase the amount of content that we share with you weekly. On Monday’s you’ll get a new podcast episode, on Friday’s a recipe and on Sunday’s (to go along with our Slow Sunday Mornings Newsletter) an article. So that’s three times a week for now and when we launch our YouTube channel, that will bring it up to four pieces of content a week!
Just typing that out made me feel tired! Haha no, but seriously this is all happening with complete intention and passion. We love what we’re doing and it’s so important to us to spread the message of conscious consumerism and living with less stuff.
Now onto the recipe. These corn fritters with tomato salsa are the perfect brunch option. After going through all my recipes and thinking about what I was missing in my archives, breakfast and brunch options were definitely something that I needed to focus on a little more. So here is one of many moving forward that I hope you enjoy.
They don’t take long to make at all and are delicious, filling and healthy. What more could you want in a recipe really? The salsa is a vital component of the recipe as otherwise, the fritters on their own are dry.
For the fritters:
- 1 cup of polenta
- 1/4 cup of chickpea (besan) flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of frozen or canned corn kernels (water drained)
- 1 cup loosely packed grated zucchini
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt (I use unsweetened natural coconut yoghurt)
- 150 ml of water or nut milk
- Grapeseed or rice bran oil for frying
For the salsa:
- 250 gr tomatoes (preferably cherry tomatoes), chopped
- Half a small brown onion, sliced thinly or finely diced (alternatively you can use a spring onion chopped)
- 2-3 leaves of basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl add the polenta, chickpea flour, tapioca starch, nutritional yeast and salt. Stir until it is well combined.
- Add in the corn, zucchini, yoghurt and water and mix well.
- Set aside for about 5 minutes for it to bind together.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add in enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon two heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan, creating a pancake-like size and thickness for the fritter with the back of the spoon.
- Fry on each side for around 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Make sure when flipping that you scrape underneath the whole fritter to remove it from the pan before flipping.
- Repeat process for the rest of the batter. This will make six fritters.
- While the fritters are frying, prepare the salsa.
- Combine all ingredients for salsa in a bowl and mix well.
- Once finished, create a stack of three fritters and spoon out half the salsa on top (make sure you add some of the juice at the bottom of the salsa bowl as well).
- Serve immediately.
- You can also serve with some plain yoghurt or tzatziki.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Toast with Asparagus
- Vegan Bruschetta Toppings Done Four Ways
- 1-Bowl Tofu Scramble
- Miso Glazed Eggplants
- Roasted Eggplant and Capsicum Buckwheat Salad
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!