Want a quick, lazy breakfast for the weekend and feel like devouring something savoury? This sun-dried tomato hummus toast with asparagus will certainly hit the spot!
I know I’m not the only one that feels this way when I say that most mornings I have no clue what I want to eat. Some days the thought of porridge makes me want to gag, but other mornings that’s what I’m craving. I find that I have a super sensitive gut and need to be careful about what I eat first thing.
Skipping breakfast works at times, just having a herbal tea or something similar. But other days I’m so hungry I could devour a big breakfast with the lot! With this recipe, I found a happy medium.
It’s filling, creamy, and full of flavour. You can batch make the hummus to have it sitting in the fridge if you don’t have the time to make a fresh batch.
What else can you have the hummus with?
This sun-dried tomato hummus recipe will actually serve 3ish people, so if you make breakfast for yourself, this can be a staple in the fridge for breakfast or as a snack. The other vegetables you can try making it with instead of asparagus are:
- Grilled zucchini (courgette)
- Grilled eggplant (aubergine)
- Green beans
- Roasted bell peppers (capsicum)
The hummus can also have some variations. You can add roasted pumpkin, or beetroot to it instead of the semi sun-dried tomatoes. Herbs and microgreens are also always a great way to get more nutrients.
The options are honestly endless! Or if you feel like keeping it ultra-simple, omit any flavour and just keep it as a traditional hummus!
Any suggestions of how you like to have it, add it in the comments below.
This post may contain affiliate links, for which we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Can I make this without a food processor?
If you have a good-quality blender, you should be able to use that. You might just need a little bit of water to get it going.
I would recommend that you use a food processor as the results will be much nicer. There are so many delicious things you can make using a food processor. I honestly couldn’t live without mine. I use it at least 3-4 times a week and love it for salads, making patties like these ones and desserts (mostly raw ones).
- 1 can (425gr) chickpeas, drained and washed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp unhulled tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes with their oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
The rest: (optional)
- 2 thick slices of rye sourdough or any other denser bread
- 2 tbsp rice bran, grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 bunches of asparagus, snap off around 2 inches from the bottom.*
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- For the hummus, place all ingredients and half of the sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor and blend for about 1 minute until smooth. You may need to stir a couple of times to push all the ingredients around to get the right consistency. If there is not enough liquid in there, add a little bit of water.
- Add in the second half of the sun-dried tomatoes and pulse a few times. You want them to be blended but still chunky.
- When the hummus is done, set aside.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil and asparagus. Fry for about 2 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Then add in the garlic and season. Turn and toss all ingredients in frying pan until the asparagus starts to lightly brown.
- Toast the bread and then spread the hummus nice and thick on top.**
- Add the asparagus and sprinkle with nigella seeds and parsley if desired.
*The way that I prepare my asparagus is by testing how far down the asparagus I can go by bending it slightly and waiting for it to snap. Compost the hard, woody part at the bottom and use the rest.
** You will have some left over hummus that you can save for another time or to make for three. If making for three serves, spread the rest of the hummus on another piece of toast and split the asparagus beteween the three serves of bread.
Recipes you’ll also love:
- Vegan Falafel Wrap
- 5-Ingredient Chunky Avocado Dip
- Beetroot and Ginger Dip
- Roasted Garlic And Pumpkin Dip
- Crispy Vegan French Toast
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!