This is such a beautifully easy recipe but so tasty and healthy. Recipes like these have been on my side of the family for a very long time. A dish like this is my mum’s go-to dish. It has vegetables, rice and protein (the tempeh). It’s a great balanced vegan meal.
You can swap the brown rice for quinoa or buckwheat. White rice is also fine, but I prefer the other grains for this dish. You can also trade the tempeh for tofu or seitan. With the veggies, don’t be afraid to add anything you normally would in a stir fry – it obviously won’t have the same taste as this recipe but don’t feel restricted! Other great vegetables to use are green beans, corn, peas and broccoli.
This is one of those throw together dishes that I make when I’m stuck for ideas. It’s my go-to meal as well 🙂 What kind of healthy and easy meals do you like to put together last minute?
- 1.5 cups medium grain brown rice (optionally soaked for at least 1 hour)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or other cooking oil that doesn't have a distinct flavour)
- 1 onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 carrots, chopped into sticks
- Handful of snow peas, cut in half
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200gr tempeh, sliced into 1inch strips
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions. I cook it like white rice but for around 35 minutes if soaked.
- Add 1/4 cup of the oil, onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric to a saucepan on medium heat. Sauté until well combined and the onions have softened.
- Add in the carrot and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add in the snow peas and mushrooms and cook together for around 7-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If the rice is still cooking, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and fry the tempeh on each side until brown. Cut the tempeh into strips.
- Combine the vegetables and rice together and top with tempeh strips. Drizzle with tamari and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!