Every time I start to get sick, feel flat, have a sore throat, a cough or anything where I may end up in bed, I make myself this immune-boosting lemon ginger tea. My mum is a naturopath and has created the simple mix of sage, lemon and thyme for when I’ve got a cold. I sip on it throughout the day and let is soothe my throat.
I cannot think of anything better to have when I’m feeling a little under the weather, as in that situation I usually don’t have much of an appetite either.
It’s also a perfect drink for a cold winters day when it’s drizzling outside.
This post may contain affiliate links, for which we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Before I became vegan, I used to use organic raw honey for this tea. There are plenty of honey alternatives; I personally love this one because of all the beneficial ingredients and the flavour combination works well. Some other options are:
Want to know what makes this immune-boosting lemon ginger tea so amazing? Here I’ve listed out all the benefits of the key ingredients in this recipe.
Benefits of sage
Sage is excellent for sore throats, so if you have a stubborn sore throat, put some sage in warm water and gargle it. You can also sip on it as a tea, but works better if you gargle it for the sore throat. It’s also:
- Filled with antioxidants
- May assist with menstrual symptoms
- It can reduce blood sugar levels
- May support oral health
- I’ve heard it can also combat skin ageing
Just a word of caution with safe though, it has estrogen-like properties, so keep that in mind if you’re sensitive.
Benefits of thyme
I love the addition of fresh thyme in the tea as it’s very soothing. Thyme isn’t only good in your dinner; it’s great in your warming drinks as well.
- Great for a cough
- Has anti-fungal properties
- Helps to boost your immunity
- Like the others, it also assists with digestion
- Known to be a great disinfectant
- Reduces the risk of respiratory issues
- It’s been known to be a mood booster
- Helps to improve circulation
Benefits of lemon
There are so many health benefits of lemons! A few of them are:
- They can support your heart health
- Protect against anaemia as it increases your iron absorption
- Improve your digestive health (why do you think we’re told to drink lukewarm water with lemon in the morning? To kick start our digestion first thing!)
- They’re a great source of vitamin C. A couple of things to note though is that to get the most benefit from the lemon; you should consume it as soon as you cut it open and to not boil the lemon juice as the vitamin C is killed in that process.
- It can assist in weight loss
- Boost your overall immune system
Benefits of ginger
If you never use ginger in your cooking, after reading the following benefits of ginger, you’ll be sure to get some stat!
- Can help with nausea and morning sickness
- It may reduce muscle pain and soreness
- Has been known to be a healthy anti-inflammatory
- Can assist in lowering blood sugars
- Has been known to reduce period cramps and pain
- It may help to reduce cholesterol
- The active ingredients in ginger can help to fight infections
- Can improve brain function
- It can also stimulate digestion