I’ve had a thing for making raw desserts since I became vegan. I haven’t experimented with baked cakes at all (not having access to an oven all the time limits your options), so I guess I’ve been sticking to what I know — playing it safe. This is how this raw vegan lemon slice was born.
I do aim to experiment more when we get back from our trip and when I can borrow someone else’s oven. But for now, I’ll be sticking to raw desserts.
Some interesting facts about lemons
I love lemons and should be incorporating them more in the kitchen. They’re always great to have around. One thing that a lot of people don’t realise with lemons is that they are acidic, however only until they hit the body.
Once they enter your body, they become alkaline. So if you have issues with acidity, lemons are not your enemy but your friend!
Having half a lemon freshly squeezed in lukewarm water in the morning helps to kick-start your metabolism. Making a lemon and ginger tea helps when you’re unwell.
I find it fascinating to learn about all the different lemon varieties out there. I’ve typically found that in Canberra they are more of a winter crop with the variety that is grown and sold here.
About this raw vegan lemon slice
This recipe is perfect if you love zesty desserts. It has a bit of a kick to it, but it has a lovely balance with the sweetness of the dates and maple syrup, so it’s not too tart. I love it!
It’s one that I often crave as I’ve always had a thing for citrus treats. When I go out, I’m still the one that orders the lemon slice/tart or citrus dessert over other things if they’re available.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Just keep in mind that you will need a few hours for this from start to finish. It’s super simple, but the setting time needs to be taken into consideration if you want to make it for an occasion. Well worth the wait!
I would suggest you start the prep the day before. Or make it the day before as it keeps well in the fridge.
You can also freeze it and take it out of the freezer a couple of hours before serving. Just make sure not to leave it out if it’s a hot day, as it will start to lose its shape and become a little mushy.
This slice recipe is a winner if you love zesty desserts. Perfect for vegan dessert lovers that enjoy lemon and citrus. Raw, refined-sugar free and healthy.
- 2 cups of any nut besides cashews (I used almonds and walnuts)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 5 medjool dates pitted or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups cashews (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 can of coconut cream (400ml)
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons (leave some zest aside for sprinkling over the top)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of turmeric powder for colour (optional)
- For the base, line a 16cmx25cm (approximately) baking dish with baking paper.
- Blend the base ingredients in a food processor until it's slightly crumbly but still sticks together.
- Press the base mix on the bottom of the lined being tray evenly and set aside.
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender until smooth. Make sure that it's super smooth.
- Pour the topping over the base and sprinkle some lemon zest over the top. Set aside in the fridge for around 3 hours or until you can touch the top and its set. If you want it firmer, you can freeze it for 30 minutes before serving.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Rose and Chocolate Raw Slice
- Vegan Mango Cheesecake
- Almost Raw Vegan Passionfruit Cheesecake
- Raw Chocolate Cake with Orange
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding With Cashew Cream
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!