Rum balls would have to be one of my favourite desserts of all time. If a cafe offers rum balls, I will always pick them.
However not many cafes or restaurants do them anymore, or they have something in them that’s not vegan-friendly— it’s usually butter or milk biscuits.
When we were in Zagreb last year in a vegan cafe, they had rum balls in their display window. My jaw just dropped, they looked mouthwatering. They were pretty massive, they looked like a big scoop of ice cream—they called them a choco-rum bomb. It was so rich and so amazing that I came back again to order it the next day. It has inspired me to make a slightly healthier version of the ones that I ate and others that you can find around.
I would struggle to create a recipe for you that uses ingredients that at my core, I don’t agree with or want to encourage you to use in your kitchen.
While travelling, I’ve also been inspired to recreate a few old classics like tiramisu, sacher torte, vanilla slice and strudel with cherries and cream cheese (which can also be with either poppy seeds or walnuts).
Hope you enjoy this recipe and that it takes you back to a nice warm fuzzy feeling like it did for me.
Rum balls with a healthy twist
These are date rum balls that have had a healthy twist as most rum ball recipes would have condensed milk, biscuits that are full of butter and refined sugar and milk chocolate.
I’ve decided to make these using ingredients like:
- Medjool dates
- Coconut oil
- Cacao powder
- Maple syrup
And of course, like every other rum ball recipe, these have that delicious rum extract added to them.
Can you freeze rum balls?
Yes, you certainly can! If you need it for a gathering, you can make plenty ahead of time and freeze them. Just take them out of the freezer and pop them in your fridge about half an hour to an hour before serving. They are even nice straight from the freezer.
I find that the dates give it that beautiful fudgy consistency and the flavours even intensify. Give it a try if you don’t eat them before they make it to the freezer.
These vegan rum balls are decadent and very easy to make that everyone will enjoy as a treat.
- 2/3 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup cacao powder and extra for rolling
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1.5 tbs rum extract
- Place all ingredients in food processor using and S blade and blend until the mixture come together. It should stick together well when you pinch it between your fingers.
- Roll into 22 bite sized balls coating with raw cacao powder.
- I like mine after they've been in the freezer and sat out for about 5 minutes. They are nice and chewy.
- Vegan Chocolate Brownies (Candida Diet Friendly)
- Thick Italian Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Baklava That’s Better Than The Real Thing!
- Easy Vegan Tiramisu (Gluten-Free)
- Naked Sacher Torte (Vegan & GF)
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!