Having a Ghanian background, peanut soup was always a staple meal growing up. My mother used to make this thick soup with all kinds of meats and seafood. Since becoming vegan, it’s been a meal that I’ve missed dearly. So I decided to take it upon myself to make an African Vegan Peanut Soup recipe which is just as delicious as my mums original!
Usually, my mother would boil the onion and garlic in chicken or beef stock before blending it up and adding it back in the soup pot together with the rest of the ingredients. I experimented with sautéing the vegetables in the soup pot first and adding the rest of the blended ingredients later, and it seemed to work nicely while streamlining the cooking process.
This is a lovely authentic African meal, however, the way I’ve prepared it is quite similar to our Vegan Cauliflower and Potato Curry and our Leek and Mushroom Vegan White Sauce Fettuccine, where the blender is used to create the sauce, or in this case, the soup mix.
I had a couple of test runs to get the consistency right. I love this recipe because it’s super simple to make and you can easily make it in large quantities. Feel free to experiment with different vegetables and soy products. You could even add cashews in towards the end if you want something crunchy in the soup. Let your imagination run wild! I used zucchini and pumpkin because that’s what was available in our house 😉
I’m looking forward to hearing what you think about this African Vegan Peanut Soup!
- 1 tbsp Grape seed or rice bran oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 zucchini
- 1/2 large sized pumpkin
- 1 cup of jasmine rice, rinsed a couple of times and drained
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 4 heaped tbsp of certified organic peanut butter (sugar free)
- 4 tbsp of tamari/soy sauce
- 4 peeled cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 cups of filtered water
- Cook the rice following the instructions on the packet. However add 1/2 cup of extra water.
- In a large saucepan on low-medium heat, add oil and finely chopped onion and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Chop zucchini and pumpkin into small wedges and add it to the saucepan.
- Add all of the soup mix ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the soup mix to the vegetables and stir well until combined.
- Continue to cook the soup on low to medium heat for 30 minutes and stir regularly until the soup starts to thicken.
- Take serving spoon and mix and smash the rice until there is a smooth consistency.
- Scoop large portions of rice into a spoon and shape them into round balls using your hands. Tip: use dabs of cold water to bind the balls together. See video below for further support.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Curried Crouton Chickpea Pumpkin Soup
- Immune Boosting Bean Soup
- Vegan Black-Eyed Bean Stew
- Roasted Curried Cauliflower with Coconut Rice
- Creamy Red Lentil Curry (Vegan-Friendly)
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!