I love it when recipes come together out of a spontaneous mix of ingredients to make a quick lunch. I had the grated carrot and purple cabbage chopped in the fridge from dinner the night before. There were some falafels in the fridge and some other random vegetables that needed to be used up.
Well, they all worked so well together! So with half the job done, lunch that day took me no more than ten minutes to throw together. It looked so beautiful and tasted even better.
I quickly jotted down what I put in the salad and recreated it again the following week to make sure that it still turned out the same; however, this time, I made the falafels from scratch.
You can, of course, use store-bought vegan falafel for this recipe to speed up the process. I share an easy falafel recipe with you that you can have for so many other things too. They can be frozen or kept in the fridge for a couple of days and reheated.
Some of my favourite ways to have falafels, besides in this salad, is in a wrap or just with some good quality hummus or even beet dip. I have a thing for Middle-Eastern food, and can never go past a really good falafel wrap or spread with lots of other goodies.
It’s a great way to get plenty of vegetables and colours of the rainbow into your diet. Crunchy, fresh, healthy, delicious, and oh so pretty!
- Falafels from this recipe (only make half the amount)
- 4 kale leaves, removed from stem, roughly chopped
- 2 cups (about 1/4 medium sized) purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup of coriander, chopped finely (about 2 bunches)
- 1/2 cup flaked or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup goji berries or sultanas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Place the kale in a large salad bowl and massage for a couple of minutes to soften it.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Cut the falafels in half and add them on the top of the salad, or you can incorporate them in.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other wonderful recipes you’ll love:
- Homemade Vegan Falafel
- Mediterranean Pearled Couscous Salad
- Warm Tempeh & Lentil Salad
- Potato, Radicchio and Caper Salad
- Vegan Falafel Wrap
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!