Vegan cabbage rolls would probably have to be one of my favourite dishes ever!
I wanted to make this recipe easy to make so I used fresh cabbage leaves and canned brown lentils. Where I’m from, this dish is originally made with meat and is called sarma.
For the last seven years, I’ve been shooting fruits and vegetables in their natural state and focusing on bringing out the beauty in each piece.
Since I closed my photography business, I’ve been focusing on only shooting food. Food is where my love of photography first came from and used to photograph a lot of food at the beginning.
After shooting this recipe, I feel like my spark has been reignited. I’m seeing the beauty in the simple. We sometimes forget to take the time to look and appreciate what nature has created for us.
I really enjoyed shooting this cabbage and took quite a few beautiful photos of it. Here are just a couple.
- ¼ cup high heat oil (I use brown rice bran oil or macadamia oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can of brown lentils, drained and washed well
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- 8 full cabbage leaves or 14 -16 half leaves
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In a medium saucepan, heat half the oil and add half of the chopped onion. Sauté the onion until it begins softening and turning translucent.
- Add in the brown lentils and cook for one minute.
- Add in the cooked rice and seasoning to taste cooking for 5 minutes.
- Set this mixture aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to the boil and boil the cabbage leaves for 1-2 minutes each. Remove from water and set aside.
- In the same large saucepan (without the water), add the remainder of the oil and onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and tomato paste cooking for 5 minutes on a gentle simmer.
- Add in ½ cup of water and season to taste.
- While the sauce is cooking, lay out the cabbage leaves overlapping smaller leaves to form one larger leaf if necessary. Place a portion the mixture in the center of each. Fold bottom half of cabbage over filling, then fold in sides and roll up tightly. Transfer cabbage rolls, seam side down on a plate.
- Once you have finished rolling the cabbage rolls and the sauce has been cooking for 10 minutes, place all the cabbage rolls in the sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm on its own, with mashed potato or bread.