Today is one of those hot days where you feel like you’re sticking to everything and it’s too hot to do anything. We only have fans in our place and it honestly feels like they’re not even on!! Summer in Australia can get pretty hot and today we’ve reached 40 degrees and I’m struggling a little.
It’s not all bad when it comes to summer though, produce is so abundant and I love all the summer fruits and vegetables. As it’s the last week of summer, I wanted to share the next two recipes to celebrate all that it has to offer. I’m putting together a delicious summer vegetables with a beautiful simple spaghetti. You can of course use any carb of your choice for this sauce, I picked pasta as it has been a long time since I’ve had it and it is the perfect accompanied carb to go with it. Others can be rice, quinoa, mashed potato, Italian bread, buckwheat to name a few. If you also don’t want wheat spaghetti, you can go for buckwheat or brown rice spaghetti.
I’ve been getting tomatoes from someone that lives close by and grows her own produce in her little back garden and at a nearby community garden. She has been giving the most amazing heirloom tomatoes that she says are from a 70 year old seed! Woowzers! I’m sad to have gotten a text from her last night to say that this is the last of it for the season. So I stocked up and will be carefully using up each and every tomato.
I’ve been making this recipe a lot this past couple of months because it’s super easy and super delicious. Can’t really argue with that 🙂 All the flavours work amazingly well together and it highlights my favourite vegetables – being eggplant and mushrooms. If you’re on an anti-inflammatory diet or lifestyle, unfortunately I wouldn’t recommend this dish as it has eggplant, tomatoes and pasta in it.
- 400 gr egg free spaghetti (I used no 3 thickness)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 eggplants (I used Italian eggplant, long and skinny with dark skin), chopped
- 2 green horn capsicums (preferably or any other sweeter capsicum), chopped
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta as per packet instructions (if it takes less than 10 minutes, place the pasta in boiling water when you have added the mushrooms in the steps below).
- In a large saucepan, add the oil and onion and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the eggplant and capsicum and cover with lid partially on, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the eggplant has softened and browned a little. If it gets a little dry, add a bit more oil. Eggplant sucks it up quite quickly!
- Add in the mushrooms and cover again stirring occasionally.
- After 2-3 minutes add in the tomatoes (and tomato paste if you wish) and simmer for 5-7 minutes more until all the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Add salt and pepper and the garlic, stirring in. Add to spaghetti mixing well and serve immediately.
I had some beautiful vegan bococini in the fridge that I hadn’t tried yet and wanted to see how it went with this dish. It was pretty amazing!! The brand of cheese is Damona (sorry this is only available in Australia I think). I bought a few different cheese from The Cruelty Free Shop as we wanted to serve some at our wedding in a couple of weeks so we needed to try them all! Oh what a tough life 😉