I used to make a delicious creamy cauliflower bake with cheese and cream before I became vegan. It was quite a heavy, rich sauce.
The first few months of being vegan, I wanted to recreate a white sauce that I liked for dishes like this leek and mushroom pasta. So I set out on a mission to recreate a vegan and healthier alternative. Once I landed on the fact that cashews make things nice and creamy and thicken a sauce up really well, this was my base for a lot of different dishes. Creamy sauces and curries are the ones I use cashews in regularly.
Can I just add…how beautiful are whole cauliflowers? I love the texture and the earthiness that they have. I also have a thing for photographing raw produce.
I normally tend to save the leaves for making stock, stir-fries or soup and the stalk of it as treats for our dog Chewy. He loves those as well as broccoli stalks.
I also make this bake with potato sometimes. So you can add them in if you like, just make sure you put them in to cook (in the boiling water) first as they take longer than the cauliflower to be ready for baking. Add about another 5-10 minutes of overall time if you decide to make it a potato and cauliflower bake.
It’s nice eaten either on its own, with some dipping bread (for that creamy, delicious sauce) and/or with a nice green salad. I hope that this blend will help you find a good base and then you can bake whatever vegetable you like with it. You can do a combination of cauliflower and broccoli as well, sweet potato, normal potatoes as mentioned above or zucchini. Your options are pretty endless!
Easy, delicious and creamy bake that everyone will love!
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup cashews
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add in the cut cauliflower.
- Cook for 10 minutes and then drain.
- While that’s cooking, in a blender, add in the sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Place the cauliflower in a baking dish that fits in all the cauliflower in single file and pour the sauce over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce starts to bubble and brown on top.
- Serve on its own or with some bread and salad.
Hope you enjoy this one. Super simple and delicious. Let me know what you thought of it in the comments below!