This vegan banana cake is a super simple and easy cake for any occasion! Banana and chocolate are the perfect pairing, and you can’t get better than a moist, sweet, rich banana cake that’s laced with chocolate chunks and a velvety chocolate ganache.Vegan or not, everyone will enjoy this cake. So don’t be afraid to make it for those that usually wouldn’t pick a plant-based cake if on the menu.
It’s a super simple, fuss-free cake that doesn’t require any fancy kitchen equipment! Just your basics.
Kitchen tools needed to make this vegan banana cake
- 8inch cake tin
- Unbleached parchment paper
- Measuring spoons
- Fine mesh strainer (for sifting dry ingredients)
- Large bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Wire rack (for cooling the cake)
- Silicone spatula or palette knife/offset spatula (for spreading the chocolate ganache)
The chocolate ganache
The chocolate ganache that I used in this recipe is a simple, quick and easy recipe that only requires two ingredients!
I decided to use this ganache in this recipe because it compliments the banana cake with the chocolate chunks perfectly. It adds that extra element of chocolate without overpowering the cake itself.
This lovely thick, smooth and creamy chocolate ganache is perfect as an all-round frosting and spreading over all your favourite desserts. For some more tips and how to make this ganache, I’ve written a separate post on it.
I have also tested this cake with my vegan cream cheese frosting, and it’s delicious!
Tips for making this eggless banana cake
This is going to be one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make. All you have to do is mash the bananas, add the wet ingredients, sift in the dry, mix well and fold in the chocolate. That’s it! Your cake batter is ready for the oven. Here are some tips to help you get the best results.
- It’s important to sift the ingredients to avoid any lumps in your batter. Since we’re using coconut sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, they are all ingredients that can lump quite easily.
- To get a nice even bake, use the middle rack in your oven. If baking two cakes, place them side by side. If your oven is too small for that, bake them individually.
- This cake is best made ahead of time, as you want it to completely cool on your benchtop, then transfer it to either an airtight container or cling wrap and then to the fridge. I usually make mine the morning of when I want it for that evening or the day before.
- Let the cake cool completely and sit in the fridge for an hour or two before spreading the ganache. You’ll avoid the ganache sticking to the cake crumb or it being too thin. It needs that time in the fridge to set a little to make it thick and spreadable.
- Mash your bananas well so that you don’t have any large lumps of banana in your batter. Make sure to use ripe bananas for this recipe—the ones that have brown spots on them. It will also add a sweeter, deeper flavour to the cake.
How to make this as a layer cake
This recipe is for one layer of the cake pictured. If you’d like to make it exactly as pictured, you’ll need to double the cake and chocolate ganache recipes.
If you have 2x 8inch cake tins at home, this won’t take that much more time for you to make, as you can bake them at the same time (if your oven fits two tins side-by-side). If not, just bake them one at a time.
The chocolate ganache recipe doubled will give you plenty of ganache to use so don’t be afraid to lather it on!
This vegan banana chocolate chip cake will easily feed a large group of people. It will make 12 generous slices if doubled, and about 10 smaller pieces if made as a single cake.
It’s perfect for any celebration, or simply just because you feel like cake! Beautifully balanced flavours that are a match made in food heaven.
Don’t worry if you’re not a massive fan of banana cake, the flavour isn’t overpowering.
You’ll love this cake because it’s:
- Fluffy and light
- Super easy to make
Some other cake recipes you’ll love:
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Cake
- No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Easy Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake with Coconut Cream and Berries
- Vegan Chocolate and Pear Loaf Cake
Join the MV community
You’ll get a neat summary of our content each week, as well as some behind the scenes of what’s happening! See you on the inside 😉