As a vegan, I find it really important to make sure to always have lots of tasty, nutritious and easy vegan meals up my sleeve. Breakfast is one of those meal times that can easily become a sweet start to the day, especially when you’re in a rush. Michael found a great recipe for a tofu scramble a while back and wanted to give it a go. We didn’t have all the same ingredients at home, so he freelanced it a little. It seemed to have become a blessing in disguise as what he put together was utterly delicious, full of flavour and super easy to make!
The trick to this recipe is to make sure you marinate it overnight. You can do it on the morning you decide to have it for breakfast but trust me, you will want that extra flavour it sucks up overnight.
This has become a favourite in our house and is something we like to have on weekends when we have a slow start to the day. I personally would never had imagined that Michael would be making a tofu scramble and enjoying it 24 months ago! Just because it’s tofu, doesn’t mean that the manliest of men should avoid it. Give it a go, you will be pleasantly surprised.
- 350 grams of firm tofu (preferably organic)
- Half a medium sized brown onion, cut in thin slices lengthways
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 handful of either kale, english or baby spinach (as much as you
- like really) roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of Tamari sauce
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or less if you don’t like spicy food)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- Crumble the tofu into small chunks and into a container.
- Add all ingredients to the crumbled tofu and mix well.
- Put the lid on the container and do a little shaking dance for about 20-30 seconds until all the ingredients are combined.
- Set aside in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes for it to
- Put a frying pan on low to medium heat and wait for it to warm up 6. Add the mixture to the pan and fry until the tofu starts lightly browning on the outside. This normally takes around 7-8 minutes.
- Make sure you keep stirring it.
- Serve immediately with bread or on its own.
This recipe is an extract from our free cookbook One Week of Meals. If you haven’t already signed up to download your free copy, then make sure you join over 3,000 people that have done so! There are over 21 nutritious vegan meals that are easy and delicious.
Let us know what you think of this recipe and many others that you can find in the cookbook and throughout the blog. We love hearing from you!