Growing up as a vegetarian, we typically ate and drank quite a bit of dairy. Cheese, yoghurt, milk, cream you name it!
Since becoming a vegan, however, I’ve wanted to recreate some dishes that would always call for dairy but now isn’t an option for me. One of my favourite ways to enjoy pasta was with a leek and mushroom sauce. I must say though, since creating this vegan version, I much prefer this! It tastes amazing, and you don’t even realise that there’s no dairy in it.
I don’t eat pasta very often as it’s very much a “sometimes food” in our house but when I do, I enjoy it wholeheartedly. I used to always feel guilty for eating things that aren’t ‘technically’ good for you but having a balanced diet is more important than stressing about it. Stress does more damage to your body than eating things that aren’t the healthiest. Sometimes you just need to let it go and enjoy.
I find that as soon as I let go of this stress, my digestion also works better. We’re not meant to be eating when our bodies are in a stressed state of being. Our stomachs close up, and the food doesn’t get digested well. You are only meant to be stressed for a short period and shouldn’t be consuming food when you are.
Think about it. When we were cavemen, we were only stressed when we were running from a bear or a lion. Your body isn’t meant to sustain that feeling for more than let’s say 10 minutes. And you certainly aren’t eating when you’re running for your life!
So, put things into perspective and give yourself that food that sometimes you feel guilty about 🙂
- 400 g fettuccine pasta (egg free)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or brown rice bran oil
- 1 small leek, washed and diced
- 6-7 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for 2 hrs if you don't have a high speed blender)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups water
- Cook the pasta as instructed on the packet. Once cooked, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan on low-medium heat, add the oil and leek and cook until leek begins to soften for around 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce to the leek and mushrooms and stir till well combined.
- Simmer on low heat for about 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the cooked pasta and stir well to combine the pasta and sauce together well.
- Serve immediately.
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!