I’ve been craving fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes for breakfast for quite some time and seem to be making these on almost a daily basis lately. When I first became vegan, I thought that this was one thing that I would have to give up as most vegan recipes contained ingredients that either doesn’t seem as ‘healthy’ as I’d like, are hard to find ingredients for or wouldn’t work if I didn’t have a non-stick fry pan.
I don’t like using non-stick fry pans as they are toxic and release chemicals every time you heat them, however, this could be a post in itself! If you’re on the lookout for new pans, I would personally recommend brands like Solidteknics, Neoflam and Prepd Skillet (currently in crowdfunding phase).
So I started experimenting and using ingredients that I have at home 99.9% of the time. Simple, easy, effective and tasty! I finally formulated one that I think is pretty difficult to get wrong.
How to make vegan chocolate pancakes
I have experimented with half, half all-purpose flour and buckwheat flour. You can also use a various amount of flavours, so get creative, just keep in mind that different flours can have different absorbency levels. So look up the ratio of normal flour to the one that you’re using.
You can also add in fruit, cinnamon, vanilla extract or paste, peanut butter and other nuts, desiccated coconut, chia seeds, poppy seeds and the list goes on!
Make sure you get the base right and then feel free to experiment with the additional flavours. I chose chocolate (cacao powder) and choc chips for this recipe, well, because who doesn’t love chocolate, right?!
How to serve these fluffy vegan pancakes
These are so delicious on their own that you won’t even need any topping. If you want you can drizzle some peanut butter, fruit or more chocolate sauce. I made a simple chocolate sauce for these pancakes.
Make the chocolate topping by melting about 2 tbsp of chocolate chips in a double boiler. Wait for them to start melting and then add about a ¼-½ cup of coconut cream. Mix in well and pour over pancakes. Add more coconut cream/milk to make the topping thinner if desired.
I also love them with a berry or apricot jam. Chocolate goes well with fruit.
I hope you enjoy these super easy, fluffy, vegan chocolate pancakes and add them to your weekly rotation. You’ll be amazed how simple they are to make, and best of all, how delicious they are!
These fluffy, super easy to make double chocolate chip pancakes are the perfect way to start your morning.
- 2 cups plant-based milk - I normally use almond or soy
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted + more for frying
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips or chocolate block chopped up into small pieces
- In two seperate bowls, mix the wet ingredients and sift the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients whisking until all lumps are gone.
- Stir in the choc chips.
- Heat frying pan on medium heat with a heaped tsp of coconut oil. Wait for the pan to heat up and then scoop about ½ cup pancake batter onto the pan, spreading out to make a nice circle. I can fit 3 pancakes at one time on my pan.
- Wait for the bubbles at the top to collapse and batter to start separating from the pan. This normally takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip with a spatula and cook on other side for an additional 2 minutes.
- Repeat process with all the batter.
- Stack pancakes and serve with whatever topping you like.
* I created this chocolate topping by melting the chocolate chips (about 2 tbsp) in a double boiler and wait for them to start melting. Add about ¼-½ cup of coconut cream. Mix in well and pour over pancakes. Add more coconut cream/milk to make the topping thinner.
Other recipes you’ll like:
- Apple, Blueberry and Vanilla Vegan Oat Bran Porridge
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding with Cashew Cream
- Crispy Vegan French Toast
- No-Bake Ginger Slice (GF and Vegan)
- Vegan Apple Crumble (Gluten-Free)
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!