Gluten-free and vegan double chocolate chip cookies. Could it be this quick and easy?
Admittedly, since becoming vegan just over two years ago (we celebrated on the 28th of August YAY!), I haven’t done much baking. I’ve mainly relied on recipes that you can’t go wrong with like the Classic Apple Crumble, Baklava, Summer Trifle and Nut and Dat Stuffed Apples.
I’ve found that the American recipes have many more substitutes that aren’t so readily available here in Australia at the moment. I’d like to appeal to a global audience, so I’m quite mindful of the ingredients that I use.
Sometimes you’ll find recipes that have ingredients that you probably need to go to a health food store or an Asian/Indian grocer. But generally speaking, I try and keep ingredients mainstream.
This post may contain affiliate links, for which we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
Healthier vegan double chocolate chip cookies
You’ll never find artificial or refined sugars, poor quality oils or vegan mock meats in my recipes.
I aim to create mainly whole food plant-based healthy recipes. This is how we live, and this is how I would like to inspire others to live as well.
Today’s recipe is one that took a bit of experimenting, but I’m glad I finally took the plunge and started. You’re probably thinking “trying out vegan and gluten-free cookies, no big deal!”
For me, this was a little win 🙂
The thing that I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t have much in it, takes no more than 30 minutes to make from start to finish and the result is delicious! You can easily give these to your kids as a treat or even as a snack in their school lunchbox. It’s healthier than any cookie you’ll find at the shops!
These cookies are free from:
- Refined sugars
- Vegan butter
- Processed ingredients
You can also experiment with different flavours, add in some peanut butter, desiccated coconut or smear some homemade chia jam on the top when cooled. The options are endless!
These cookies are super easy and quick to make and use only 7-ingredients. Gluten-free and vegan, they make the perfect afternoon treat with some plant-based milk.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (aka bi-carb soda)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3-1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C (355F) and line a baking tray with unbleached baking paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well together.
- Place a small bowl over a small saucepan with a little bit of boiling water on the stove, combine all wet ingredients - coconut oil, vanilla, water and maple syrup. Mix together until coconut oil has completely melted and it's all well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and incorporate. You can also use your hands here if it's easier. It may look a little wet, but give it about 5 minutes and it will firm up a little.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of mixture and shape into a cookie.
- Continue this process and pop the cookies into the oven to bake for around 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave for about 15 minutes to cool, then transfer onto a rack to completely cool.
- Best served with some plant-based milk.
- Keeps in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Easy Fluffy Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Vegan Chocolate Crepe Cake
- No-Bake Ginger Slice (GF and Vegan)
- Vegan Chia Protein Balls
- Rum Balls
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!