It’s sometimes nice to experiment with new ingredients. I’ve been craving a new salad recipe with substance. I find that if I base it around leafy greens, it’s just not substantial enough to make it a main course. Michael and I are both big eaters so a green salad with some form of protein just won’t cut it.
I found the red rice a few months ago in the supermarket and wanted to try it. I’d never cooked with it before, and I thought that it would be interesting as a base for a cold salad.
- 3/4 cup red rice, washed
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into cubes
- 150g tomatoes (preferably cherry), cut into cubes
- Can of chickpeas (425g), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp unhulled tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs water
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on packet.
- Combine the cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, walnuts and coriander in a bowl. Mix well.
- Once the rice is cooked, toss through the rest of the ingredients.
- For the dressing, place all ingredients in a jar or a small container with a lid and give it a good shake. Once well combines, pour over the salad and serve.
This salad is excellent as a quick and easy meal. You can take it to work for lunch or pack it in your kid’s lunchbox. If they can’t have nuts at school, swap the walnuts for toasted sunflower seeds.
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!