I absolutely adore warm salads that have a great depth of flavour and can be pre-prepared. A vegan lentil salad like this is great for sharing as a side or having it as a main.
I either like to have super basic salads like plain lettuce or rocket (arugula) with simple vinegar, olive oil and salt dressing. Or something with lots of flavours that is more of a meal like this Red Rice Salad with a Tahini Dressing or this Mediterranean Pearled Couscous Salad that I made just yesterday for lunch.
This meal is perfect for making on the weekend and taking to work over a couple of days as its nice chilled as well. You can also pair it with some good quality bread if you find that it’s not filling enough. I’m thinking of all the big eaters out there like Michael and me!
Highlights of this vegan lentil salad
- The addition of tempeh makes this salad extra “meaty”
- It’s gluten-free
- You can eat it warm or cold
- It’s filling and nutrient-dense
I’m going to keep it short and sweet this week. I hope you enjoy this one! It was originally posted in a short free cookbook I did a while ago that is no longer available online. I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you all.
Enjoy this gluten-free, protein-packed vegan lentil salad with tempeh. Eat it warm, eat it cold. Have it as a main meal or on the side. Options are endless!
- 1 cup lentils soaked for at least 8 hours
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup rice bran oil (use half to bake beetroots & to fry tempeh)
- 4 small or 2 large beetroots, cut into wedges
- 2 handfuls of green beans (250 gr), chopped in half
- 150 grams of tempeh, chopped into cubes
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 heaped tbsp of tahini (preferably unhulled)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the lentils and add 2 cups of water to them in a saucepan and bring the water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes. Add water as needed and make sure the lentils are just covered. Lentils are cooked as soon as they are tender and no longer crunchy.
- Once cooked, strain them and give them a quick rinse. Return the lentils to the pan and stir in a good pinch of salt.
- While the lentils are simmering, place the beetroot on a lightly greased baking tray in the oven on 200C (390F) on fan bake for 20 minutes.
- While the beetroot is baking, place the beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes. Remove from water and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil, add the tempeh and fry on each side for 1-2 minutes until it starts to crisp up and brown a little.
- Add in the garlic and baby spinach and cook for another minute. Take off heat and set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake well for about 30 seconds until all ingredients are well combined.
- Combine the cooked lentils, beetroot, beans, tempeh with garlic and spinach and dressing all in the bowl. Toss well to cover all ingredients with dressing and serve.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Simple Potato and Radicchio Salad
- Rainbow Falafel Salad
- Easy Vegan Brown Lentil Stew
- Vegan Buddha Bowl Three Ways
- Vegan Red Rice Salad with Tahini Dressing
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!