I’ve been eating this simple potato, beetroot and chickpea salad for as long as I remember. It’s super easy to make and the perfect side salad or it can be turned into a main meal for work or school lunch.
One note though, for school lunches keep in mind that the beetroot easily stains clothes so I wouldn’t be giving it to kids that seem to miss their mouths sometimes haha
Other variations for this potato, beetroot and chickpea salad
You can have this salad with many different variations. You can leave out the chickpeas, add in some peas or other beans. It tastes really good with adzuki (kidney) beans as well.
I also really like it with some tempeh on the side or tofu marinated in tamari. Let yourself explore as the flavours of the salad can be adjusted to a few different tastes.
This delicious recipe is free from:
- processed ingredients
- pre-made dressings
As I mentioned before, this recipe is one that I grew up eating, but it was typically without the addition of chickpeas. That’s something that I chose to add as I wanted a little extra protein in the salad and to bulk it up.
This salad is nutritious, hearty, filling, earthy and only uses 6-ingredients! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the last few decades.
A super simple, earthy and filling 6-ingredient salad that is great on its own or as a side salad.
- 2 medium beetroots
- 4 medium potatoes (a variety that’s good for boiling)
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 can of chickpeas (400g), rinsed well
- 1 tbs vinegar (organic preferably apple cider vinegar, the cloudy variety that has mother in it)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful or coriander (cilantro) for topping, optional
- Place the whole, unpeeled beetroots and potatoes in a small saucepan and fill with cold water enough to cover the vegetables. Cook on medium heat for around 25-30 minutes, until a skewer goes through nicely but isn’t too soft. When the potatoes have finished cooking, place under a running tap with cold water. Let it cool for around 3-5 minutes.
- Peel the beetroots and potatoes and cut into thick slices.
- In a bowl, add the beetroot, potatoes, red onion, chickpeas, vinegar, oil and seasoning. Toss well, add the coriander on top and serve.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Simple Potato and Radicchio Salad
- Warm Vegan Lentil Salad with Tempeh (Gluten-Free)
- Rainbow Falafel Salad
- Roasted Potato, Asparagus and Dill Salad
- Vegan Olivier Salad
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!