Trust me when I say that this Vegan Olivier Salad tastes better than it looks. I grew up having this salad at my birthday parties. It’s a salad that typically includes cut up boiled eggs and regular mayonnaise. Since I grew up in a vegetarian household we didn’t have pieces of ham in there like the traditional Russian (Olivier) salad does.
I didn’t want to eliminate this salad out of my life for good since becoming vegan, so I veganised it!
I haven’t eaten it many times since we moved to Australia, to be honest, but since I was converting most of my favourite recipes from my childhood, this one had to be in there! It’s so simple to make, the flavours are simple, but they work together really well. I used to inhale it as a kid!!
I’ve been playing around with ingredients to find the perfect balance of flavours for the vegan mayonnaise and came up with something that was as close as I could get it to an egg mayonnaise without compromising too much on the taste.
- 2 medium potatoes, 2 cups (270g)
- 3 large carrots, 2 cups (270g)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup of gherkins, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 gr silken tofu
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or other non fragrant oil
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 small handful dill, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Place the potatoes with skins in a saucepan and top with cold water. It should more than cover the potatoes as you will need some extra water in there to add the carrots in as well.
- Start cooking the potatoes on a medium to high heat. Add the whole carrots in 5 minutes into the cooking time. Cook altogether for 20 minutes or until you can put a knife or a skewer through one of the potatoes easily. You don't want them too soft though as you will be cutting them into cubes.
- Once the potatoes and carrots have finished cooking, rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and so you don't burn yourself when you are cutting the vegetables.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. This should make around 2 cups. Place in a bowl.
- Peel the carrots if they have a thick skin and cut them into cubes. They should also make around 2 cups. Add to the bowl.
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan and place the fresh or frozen peas in and cook for around 2-3 minutes. Drain and add to the bowl.
- Set aside until the ingredients have completely cooled. You can place in it in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Chop the gherkins into small squares and add to the bowl. Add the salt and mix well.
- For the mayonnaise, place all ingredients in a blender or small food processor and blend until you get a silky smooth consistency.
- Mix the mayonnaise through the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with dill (optional if you have any left over).
- Serve cold.
- It can stay in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Interested in more recipes?
Want to get inspired each week with a new vegan recipe using everyday ingredients? Click on the link below to get them straight to your inbox!